Posted by Amy 0 comments

A few months ago, I read a post on Apartment Therapy about building a succulent planter using cinder blocks. We have an area in our back yard between the deck and a brick walkway where nothing will grow, except for weeds of course! I decided this would be the perfect thing to add interest to this area while keeping it low maintenance.

Succulent planter in my back yard
Another view of the succulent planter 
The planter wasn't too difficult to build. There are several sites online with directions on how to build this, but I found these directions to be the most helpful. I spent more time figuring out the design and arrangement of the blocks than I did building the planter. Fitting the chicken wire into the blocks that stick out was not an easy nor fun task. Be sure to wear heavy duty gloves when cutting and shaping the chicken wire. I used rebar to reinforce the wall and I used PVC in the bottom of these blocks (see image below) rather than nails as suggested in the directions linked above. 

PVC in cinder block to ensure the plant does not fall through
Don't forget to use the right soil mixture depending on what you plant. You can buy succulent potting mix, or just make it yourself. My friend Erin recommended using regular potting soil and adding Perlite and some sand from the garden (which in FL, we have plenty!) to make your own. That is the mixture I created and it has worked out well.

Lastly, I have to mention that I was thrilled to see a cinder block succulent planter featured at EPCOT's Flower and Garden Festival this year. To see something that I have in my backyard featured at the Flower and Garden Festival, well, that is a pretty big compliment! Below is a picture of the succulent planter at EPCOT.

Succulent planter at EPCOT
The best part about this project is that you can customize the planter to meet your needs and make it as big or as small as you want. Now that my planter is built, I am continuously on the lookout for new succulents with different shapes and colors to add to my garden. Yes, I am hooked on succulents!

0 Responses

Post a Comment

Subscribe to My Blog

Subscribe Here